Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lead in Paint

Lead is a heavy metal and a very strong poison. When a person swallows a lead object or breathes in lead dust, some of the poison can stay in the body and cause serious health problems.

A research conducted by a group of scientific organisations shows most paints available in Sri Lanka contain large amounts of Lead( Pb) in both emulsion and enamel paints. Among the 10 countries involved in the research, Sri Lanka comes only after Nigeria and Mexico. According to the Sri Lanka Standards, no Lead can be available in Emul­sion paint and only 600 ppm can be available in Enamel paint.

According to the scientists, even if the paint is not peeling, it can be a problem. Lead paint is very dangerous when it is being stripped or sanded. These actions release fine lead dust into the air. Infants and children living in old buildings (where paint often contained lead) have the highest risk of lead poisoning. Small children often swallow paint chips or dust from lead-based paint.

Possible complications include:
Behaviour or attention problems, Failure at school , Hearing problems , Kidney dam­age, Reduced IQ , Slowed body growth.

The symptoms of lead poisoning may include:
Abdominal pain and cramping (usually the first sign of a high, toxic dose of lead poi­son), Aggressive behavior , Anemia, Constipation, Difficulty in sleeping, Headaches, Irritability , Loss of previous developmental skills (in young children) , Low appetite and energy, Reduced sensations. Very high levels of lead may cause vomiting, stagger­ing walk, muscle weakness, seizures, or coma.

1 comment:

  1. The reason for beginning the project has been taken up in many ways by many different people but to me, it was by necessity. I had been going bigger and bigger with my own canvas paintings up to 2m x 1.2m and still feeling constricted in what I could do. As well as the financial side of producing paintings that size! candy paint